The old way of hiring Business Analysts
We are setting out to challenge the way that businesses engage BAs for project work.
Traditionally, hiring a Business Analyst has been all about hiring a person - and then having them sit in a seat for 40 hours a week, filling their time. We have been those BAs, and the reality is that this isn't the most efficient model. Some of the key issues here are:
- Project work involves a lot of waiting - waiting for answers, for review of a piece of work, for approval of the next stage ... Waiting isn't productive, and it is an expensive thing to be paying for when you have a Contract BA on the team.
- You are limited to the skillset of the individual - when you hire an individual, that is all you get! Need them to throw together a financial model, but they don't know how to? Well too bad - you will have to now hire someone else to fill the gap.
- When they are gone, they're gone - all of the knowledge that the BA gains about your organisation lives solely within their head - and when the contract ends (or they leave) this knowledge leaves with them. Calling on this knowledge again is hard.
Project Business Analyst Services – our approach
When you engage Luckman & Associates to deliver Business Analyst/Project Services, you are engaging our business as a whole, not just a single person. Our internal processes ensure that the IP/knowledge gained by our people on the ground is retained within our business - and with this we can deliver continuity over time.
Our principles are:
- Engage us to deliver an outcome, not to fill a seat - we are focused on achieving an outcome for you, not on billing a 40 hour week! We will be there when you need us, driving the project along - but when we hit those 'waiting' moments, we will be elsewhere (and not adding to your budget).
- The right person for the job - the huge benefit in engaging the business (not the person) is that we will bring in the right people at the right time. While we will always have a Lead BA assigned, we will swap in other staff where their skill sets are required - eg building complex spreadsheets, change management tasks, training delivery etc.
- Continuity and commitment - by engaging our business as a whole you are getting our commitment to deliver to the outcome. This is invaluable in projects that have a high turnover of staff, as our staff are committed to our business - and in turn our business is committed to your project.
- Taking the initiative - we aren't afraid of helping you to define and drive a project. Do you know that something needs to be done, but you aren't quite sure what that looks like? We can build a project from the ground up, and provide expertise you may not have in house.
- Process is at the core of everything - while our BAs have a wide range of skills, our specialty lies in understanding process. Whether it be an IT project, a reorganisation, or process reengingineering, the same principles apply - we will always question 'who will use the outcome?', 'how will it be used?' and 'is this the most efficient way to achieve the results?'.